Ordsall Hall Lancashire
It is thought that Ordsall House dates from 1251 when William de Ferrers exchanged the hall for some land at Pendleton. The longest use of the hall was for a family home to the Radclyffe family who came into ownership after the death of Richard de Hulton, who died childless. Different members of the family owned the hall for over 300 years. Sir Alexander Radclyffe was High Sheriff of Lancashire; he held this position on four separate occasions. Many members of the family were knighted for their services in battle and regularly taking part in court. Margerat Radclyffe was a favourite Maid of Honour for Queen Elizabeth. Over the years the family lived there work was carried out at the hall and additions were made. After it ceased to be their home in the late 17th century Ordsall Hall had many uses. It was first sold on to the Oldfield family. Up until 1871 it continued to be a home for many different families; the last were descendents of John Markendale who lived there himself in 1814. In 1875 it was leased to Haworth Mill who used the property as a workings men club, the great hall became a gymnasium, and also there were places for a bowling green, skittle alley and a billiard room. When the lease ran out Earl Egerton of Tatton opened the great hall as a Clergy Training School, and he paid architect Alfred Darbyshire to carry out major renovations.
The hall was brought by Salford Corporation in 1959 and again following more restoration work, was opened in 1972 to the public as local history museum and period house.
The main ghost at the hall is a ‘white lady’, possibly that of Margaret Radclyffe. She is seen in the Great Hall or at the front of the property. Noises have been heard like the sound of doors being opened or closed, dragging sounds and footsteps, and occasionally people have reported that they have smelled roses or lavender when there has not been a presence of either.