Originally built as North Coast Girls College in 1924, it closed in 1930 due to lack of boarders. The building then became North Coast Guesthouse. During World War II and continuing afterwards it use was changed to a boarding house. In the 1960’s it was turned into flats and renamed Sunnyvale. The building was auctioned off in 1999 with the local council giving the principle approval for its demolition and re use of the land for a new development. But the person who brought it, Jeff Champion a former mayor and his wife, did not want to demolish it but to restore the building to its former glory. After months of work and lots of money this became a reality, and they opened it as Ballina Manor, which continues today as a boutique hotel.
The manor is believed to be haunted with noises being heard and shadows being seen.